Saturday 22 January 2011

Foundation...

So, as promised, here's a post about my previous work. I thought the best place to start wouldn't actually be the beginning. I wanted to post something that I hadn't done at University but also something that i hadn't made when i was starting out in photography. Therefore Foundation is probably the perfect place to start.




Above is the final photograph from my Art and Design Foundation, Final Major Project. It was made from multiple exposures of the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square. The project title that I set for myself was 'What If Punk Never Happened?' The theme was inspired by a song by The King Blues of the same name. The first time I listened to it, the lyrics really hit home. It's well worth a listen (What if Punk Never Happened? on YouTube)

It was around this time that i started to develop a lot of what I would now identify as 'my style'. I wanted to make a statement, but one that was not immediately obvious, one that you would have to work to understand. A popular phrase from my tutor at this time was "Develop your own visual language." Because photography is a referent based medium, it's very difficult to develop a visual language in the same way you might with a style of painting, or drawing which lead me to develop a more symbolic visual language.


The image reflects an extreme version of what, in my opinion, would have happened if punk never happened. Punk was a movement focussed on change, and having your voice heard, even if that meant going against the norm. One word amongst the sea of lyrics in the song stuck with me and became a very strong element of the work. Apathy. This is one of the main things that Punk as a culture fought against, and therefore would, in my mind, be rife if punk never existed. This is why there are no people in my photograph. The reflections in the standing water on the ground outside signify that humans are still living, and it is not a view of a post apocalyptic world, but a post-unapposed Thatcher world. The birds are also included in the image for the same reason as the reflections. Finally the choice of scene was also premeditated. I chose the National Gallery for what it stands for as a symbol, a national centre for culture. Showing it deserted is a strong statement indeed considering how many people were present when i was photographing on a cold, wet, February morning.


I learnt a lot of things that i still carry with me today. The symbology in this piece has often been referred to as being obtuse and my work, to this day has retained that element. This is where that part of my work started and therefore will always be an important part of my practice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment