Sunday 29 May 2011

Twentysix Gasoline Stations (Around Sunset)...

So I'm coming to the end of my last project of second year. I'm really happy with the concept, but given more time i think the work would be a lot stronger... but then again that's probably my fault for not getting stuck in earlier. I'm producing a book with twenty six gasoline stations around sunset, and also a select few images from the book will be printed up larger as 'exhibition'-esque prints.


I felt that I needed to get away from my, what some people would term as, 'overcomplicated' symbology narratives so I decided to simplify it so it was more accessible. This meant that rather than having an intricately formulated set of symbols which are all equally important to understand and equally important in working out the narrative, I submitted somewhat to what I like to call the 'cult of the aesthetic.' By this I mean the images outweigh the concept, in many cases forfeiting a concept altogether. On reflection though I think I have struck a nice balance. 


The 'Twentysix Gasoline Stations' is obviously a reference to Ed Ruscha's book published in 1963. I used this because my project focuses on oil depletion, and gasoline/petrol stations are  an everyday connection with oil (and it's price) that people take a lot of notice of, because we've become so dependant no doubt. The 'around sunset' aspect that I added is a fairly transparent metaphor when put in context, symbolising the end of the era of oil. The varied times that the photographs were taken (which will be included in the titles) can also be related to the multiple and incredibly varied predictions about when peak oil will occur. And that's it symbology-wise... cracking, let's just see how things turn out.


Here's a few photographs that I may be including in the final work:




Shell Service Station, Horley Road (20:29 27/05/11)



Esso Service Station, Reigate Road (21:09 26/05/11)



Murco Service Station, Shelvers Hill (21:32 26/05/11)

No comments:

Post a Comment