Saturday 24 November 2012

Locked Out...

This blog is called Photography etc. With this in mind this post will most definitely be filed under etc. so those of you who read this blog (the delightful few that you are) purely for Photography may not want to indulge in this particular rant (therefore cutting the market for this post to virtually zero.)

I LOVE ice hockey; I cannot get enough of it. It's one of my only regrets that I didn't pull my finger out while I was at uni and strap on some skates for a team, however financial limitations didn't really give me an option. One day, I hope to move to Canada and play in a decent recreational league once I get good enough. But I digress...

The NHL is locked out. What might you ask does that mean? Basically, on the 16th of September of this year the owners of the 30 teams that make up the NHL said 'We're not going to play' because the league and players association have yet to agree to a new CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement: this covers player safety, contracts, salary, to name but a few.) This, to me, is all my nightmares come at once. Not least because I wanted to see how the Detroit Red Wings got on without their future hall-of-famer captain Nicklas Lidstrom, aptly nicknamed 'The Perfect Human' (the guy played until he was 42 years young for christ sake and he was still on top of his game!) but also because I enjoy the sport in general and this lock out will undoubtedly damage it.

This is the point at which I come to Commissioner Gary Bettman, the man representing the league. This guy is a douchebag of the highest order. In my eyes, he completely denies the facts. For example, he maintains the viewpoint that the PA has not moved in their direction during negotiations. But I was under the impression they had partially accepted a proposal from the league on the condition they honour player contracts which have already been signed... that's not too much to ask surely? But the owners of course aren't happy with that (I'd imagine Minnesota Wild GM, Check Fletcher, least of all after throwing 13-year $98 million contracts at both Zach Parise and Ryan Suter in free agency) but isn't this what contracts are for? I was actually taken aback when I realised the contracts already signed wouldn't be honoured. 

Many different solutions to this problem have been suggested by various people. Players have said why not play a season under the old CBA while negotiating a new one which seems to me a decent option seeing as the entire season is now in jeopardy with games through the middle of December and the All-Star game called off yesterday, as well as the Winter Classic outdoor game already having gone down the river (in which, the Toronto Maple Leafs would have played the Detroit Red Wings in Detroit WHICH I PLANNED TO GO TO! CHEERS BETTMAN!) A mediator is now being called for, with Bill Clinton's name being thrown into the mix, you know it's serious. 

All in all I think the league needs to realise where the fans heart lie, with the players. I support a team, but I also support players. I went and saw Drew Miller #20 of the Wings playing for the Braehead Clan of the UK Elite League but equally I will soon be going to see Anthony Stewart of the Carolina Hurricanes and Paul Bisonette of the Phoenix Coyotes. The teams are a logo that players play under but the main attraction is the players.

The notion of legacy was brought to my attention by Adam Proteau writing for The Hockey News. In an open letter to owners he says: "What are you guys risking these potentially massive legacy hits for? A few more stringent rules on player contracts? Doesn't seem worth it to me" Me either, Adam. 

NHL owners have their team to consider which ultimately comes down to players. Competing in overseas leagues may keep players match fit but in my humble opinion will not develop them as far as playing opposite the best in the hockey world as they do every game night in the NHL. This may result in a 'Lockout Hangover' if the season is rescued/when next season starts. 

I feel like this rant may now have to reach it's end. It's been a far too long already but last of all I need to make one point to both Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr...


...pull your heads out of your arses, sort it out and get back on the ice. LETS GO RED WINGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment